Sunday, December 19, 2010

O Come, O Come Emmanuel



Today I was able to sing in church with a good friend of mine.  We did a duet arrangement of O Come, O Come Emmanuel.  The words are stirring.  I have always loved the melody, but have never really let the words touch my soul, if I can say it like that, only because I never gave them the opportunity.  


As we sang, though, I began to feel the view of heaven rest upon me.  As I looked out into the congregation, I could feel the words being spoken to individuals.  I was singing to individuals that deal with a lot in their lives, and that seek healing, comfort, and peace in their lives.  I felt that God granted me sight into their hearts.  And more than anyone, I felt a greater hope rest within my heart because of the Savior.


This picture is of a figurine we have in our living room as part of a hand-carved nativity set.  I love the set.  I had played around with the camera taking pictures of these figurines and have grown to like this one the most.  I guess I would like to reverence the Savior like this man is depicted.  I would like to approach him more on bended knee, looking to him with greater hope.  He holds something special in his hands--an offering, a gift.  I cannot see the Savior to give him a gift.  If I were to give him something, what would it be?  This thought crossed my mind earlier in the month.  It has been a personal tradition of mine after Thanksgiving to think of a gift that I can give the Savior.  This year I felt a strong feeling to offer a broken, repentant heart, and a contrite spirit.  More than anything, this is what I wanted to give to Him this year.  It's not easy, and it has taken a lot of courage, focus, and faith, but I feel a change starting within me... a deeper conversion trying to occur.  I hope it can!


This piece, O Come O Come Emmanuel, has expressed some of these feelings for me.  It expresses the hope I have in the atonement of the Savior.  In difficult times, in painful times, in frustrating times, he has been there. I don't know how it worked, but I knew he was there and that he was teaching me, consoling me, buoying me up, etc.  I love him.  He is a dear, dear friend of mine.  I hope I can make an acceptable offering, gift to my friend this Christmas season.  

O come, O come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of Hell Thy people save
And give them victory o'er the grave
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-Spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai's height,
In ancient times did'st give the Law,
In cloud, and majesty and awe.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.


Merry Christmas!  Let us celebrate the birth... the birth of our Savior!

1 comment: