Sunday, January 30, 2011

Goals: Week 4


Well, here is the update for the month of January.  I'm still hanging in there!  I was talking with a friend this week and just realized how much this getting up early changes pretty much everything.  Apparently that is when your body functions the best; you do your best thinking.  


I still have a problem with going back to bed later in the morning.  I know it's because I allow myself to think that I can--I'm not being disciplined.  Any suggestions on how to get up and stay up?  I read my scriptures right away usually and sometimes practice the piano to keep my mind awake and "firing," but I usually end up telling myself that I'm sleepy, and then I'm gone!  Any ideas would be great, friends.




The mind is powerful.  What choose to let stay in our minds eventually ends up becoming our actions, indeed.  I've just noticed that so much more this week with this struggle to stay awake in the mornings.  Also, the law of agency, this ability to choose, also does not allow us to escape the consequences of our actions.  There were some evenings where I had a hard time falling asleep by 10:30.  As a result the next day I was more tired from waking up early.  There is really nothing I can do to escape those consequences no matter how much I will it in my mind.  So, yeah, I definitely believe in this idea of thought transforming into action, but there is the caveat of the consequence of our choices.




I had some time to kill yesterday, so I go to take some pictures down in Kansas City near UMKC.  I only had my point and shoot, but I still got some good stuff.  PS: if you're going to Frank A. Theis Park (just south of the Nelson Atkins Museum), you gotta watch you're step this time of year.  Apparently geese love this area; they eat a lot, and you can probably guess where I'm going.  Wow... it was like a minefield.  So, just a warning.


The sun was setting, so there were some beautiful scenes to look at.  There wasn't anything impressive until I started heading north.  Along the bridge along I-35 there was an incredible view.  I was tempted to stop in the middle of the interstate and get out to take a picture.  Then, as the sun started disappearing behind the horizon, the sky started turning purple along with some vibrant oranges and deep blues.  I tried to look at it as much as I could and still drive.  I wanted to burn the image in my mind.  It was spectacular.  I needed a shoulder to pull of on.  Hopefully I'll have that image after the resurrection.



3 comments:

  1. That picture is beautiful! I don't know why you didn't show any of them to us last night.

    You've done so well this month! I wish I could say the same. I have the same problem with going back to bed after I've been up for a while. I think just finding something active to do after you've studied and practiced, something that gets your mind and body going, would be helpful. I haven't proven this theory yet, so I'm not making any promises for its effectiveness. If you think of anything else, definitely let me know. I could use the help, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking. I'm going to experiment this week and figure it out. Ooh. I bet if I prayed about it the Lord would help me... That's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, He wouuld defintiely help you. Good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete