Saturday, September 1, 2012

1 Year Later

I began writing this at 12:00am..  didn't even really mean to.  Just happened to be a year from the last time I wrote.

I wanted to relay an experience I had earlier this week.  Lately, I've been doing a lot more photography.  My opportunities have grown, and, consequently, my desire to be better.  I've found myself coming home after work, getting something to eat and just looking at tutorials, playing around with my camera, until midnight.  I fall in bed worn out and tired, getting up around 6:00 the next day.  I've learned a few things, but one of them came so unexpectedly.  I got home one evening, didn't have anything to do that night.  So, what do I do with all this time?  I was kind of lost.  I felt a magnetic pull to my scriptures and to a lesson I'll be giving on Sunday.  I sat and studied my scriptures.  I paused and thanked the Lord for the feeling I felt as I pondered and read.  It was a serene peace.  I finished up a good study.  It was 9:00, and I thought to myself, "Wow, I don't have any desire to really do anything else.  I could go to bed right now."  It was such an odd thought, as most nights I find myself staying up late trying to pack in as many things as I can.  
As I pondered this feeling, I realized what was happening.

"Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy.  Hearken diligently unto me, and remember the words which I have spoken; and come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness."

This verse became so real and alive to me.  All of these tutorials, studying, posting, editing, shooting--a great hobby that is wholesome--was not bringing me the complete satisfaction I wanted.  I found myself wanting more and more, and it never really leaving me satisfied.  I was happy, but there was always that drive to get more.  But here, I had studied for about an hour or so, and was left full of "fatness."  It was such a stark reality of the truthfulness of the scriptures.  I was amazed and very humbled at what I had been taught.

Truly, our Heavenly Father knows what will "fill" us.  Through obeying his commandments, I can understand how to have this peace and satiated feeling always.

No comments:

Post a Comment